Boxed pancake mixture might not give you fluffy pancakes that you can comfortably make at home. Sometimes, you might not pick up all the necessary ingredients leaving you with one option, box pancakes. Not to worry because we will learn how to make fluffy pancakes from a box.
With a few tricks and the addition of ingredients, you will make the best breakfast with fluffy and tasty box pancakes. These ingredients will make box pancakes better:
- Sift the pancake mix
- Melted butter
- Milk or buttermilk
- Add eggs
- Increase the leavening
- Add the essence you like: vanilla or almond
- Choose your toppings
The batter makes all the difference. If it is too thick, they turn out gluggy and uncooked on the inside while a thin one will spread out and not fluff up. Test the batter using a spoon or ladle by lifting it above the bowl to make sure it is thick enough running slowly off the spoon. If it has lumps, please smooth them slowly with a wire whisk.
Tips on How to Make Fluffy Pancakes from a Box
1. Sift the mix
Sifting the dry mixture aerates the dry mixture, which is step number one to making fluffy pancakes. The mix becomes lighter; hence mixing it with other ingredients is easy and gives good results. When sifting, hold the sieve 18 inches above the bowl.
2. Melted Butter
Normally butter is not necessary when using pancake mix. However, because we intend to improve box pancakes, a little melted butter will make them extra fluffy and have a buttery flavor. The results you get will remind you of IHOP pancakes.
3. Milk or Buttermilk
Mostly you are advised to follow instructions on a label or box, but this time, you will differ because you want to make them better. Often the traditional pancakes use buttermilk hence the name, traditional buttermilk pancakes.
Adding whole milk or buttermilk gives them a homemade taste that will make everyone reach for one more! Milk or buttermilk increases the fat content in the recipe; hence the pancakes will be more tender.
4. Add Eggs
Depending on the boxed mix you are singing, some may not require eggs while others do. Eggs are essential when it comes to making better fluffy, and tasty pancakes. The texture and flavor make them more like homemade pancakes. You will also get better fluff if you whip up the egg white and then slowly fold them into the batter. As a result, they will be more fluffy like Japanese pancakes.
5. Increase Leavening
Box pancake mix might not make fluffy pancakes because the baking powder wears out over time. Therefore, adding a little baking powder might change the story. Don’t take chances of not adding baking powder or baking soda as you may end up with flat pancakes.
6. Add Essence: Vanilla or Almond Extract
Don’t be surprised if your boxed mixture has a bland taste. No flavor! Adding a vanilla or almond extract will make your pancakes incredible, as the flavor will be inviting to everyone. Spice lovers can add some cinnamon, allspice, or citrus zest to their liking.
7. Don’t Leave out Toppings
Sunday mornings are the pancake day for the whole family, and how better than to serve fluffy pancakes? Make everyone’s morning by adding toppings to these incredible pancakes. You can use fruits, nuts, chocolate chips, flavored sprinkles, syrups, Yogurts, bacon, or peanut butter. The choice is yours to make, depending on your preference and enjoyment.
Preparing Fluffy Pancakes From a Box
- 2 cups of Pancake Mix
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Milk or buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- Leavening: Baking Powder or baking soda
- Vanilla or almond essence
- Toppings: Fruits, Peanut butter
- First, sift enough box pancake mixture into a bowl for aeration.
- In a bowl, mix the dry ingredients first, then add milk, eggs, and the essence as you whisk them together to make the batter smooth and the desired thickness.
- Heat the griddle or non-stick pan then put some butter(a little) on it and let it melt.
- Use a measuring cup at 1/4 cup to have the same size pancakes. Pour the batter slowly onto the griddle in a circular motion to make a uniform round shape.
- Cook until it is golden brown underneath, and when bubbles form at the top uncooked side with signs of drying up, turn it over and let the other side cook too.
- Once you are done cooking, put your preferred topping and serve your fluffy pancakes from a box to the family.
Remember that the pancake mix is prepared for you and what you are doing is making it better for a fluffy outcome. It is recommended that you read the label and follow instructions, which is okay, but the above instructions are ways to improve what has already been provided for you.
Depending on the pancake mixture you plan to use, the above ingredients and directives will help you make fluffy pancakes from a box. The procedure is straightforward, and preparing them does not take much time. ENJOY!