Cyanoacrylate glue, commonly known as super glue, has an instant bonding nature. It is one of the glues that dry up quickly and can be used to fix anything that is broken, loose, or cracked quickly. When it gets anywhere unwanted, the outcome will not be pleasant, which brings us to the subject today, how to get super glue off the skin.
Once super glue dries, it is crystal clear. Drying up fast is what makes the glue unique and special, and it is also its number one drawback. Here are several ways to remove superglue that accidentally lands on the wrong surface or your skin. Although these methods may not include all work, it would be best to know and try more than one.
How to Get Super Glue Off Skin
1. Use warm soapy water.
Dry superglue forms a solid transparent film. If it is on your skin, it would be best to let it dry and then try to peel it off slowly. Soak the part of your skin glued in warm soapy water for about 10 minutes, then try to peel it off. It might be impossible to soak the glued skin, but you can cover the area with a cloth or towel that has been soaked in warm soapy water.
After the ten minutes are over, stretch the skin tightly, probably with the help of a friend. Get your fingernails under the glue film and peel them off keenly. If your nails cannot get under the film, use tweezers to peel it off or a pocket knife while exercising caution. In some cases, warm soapy water may not work, and you can try the following methods.
- Mix equal baking soda and coconut oil measures, smear the poultice over the glued skin, and stay in for ten minutes. After the lapse of ten minutes, wipe the mixture then try to pull off the glue.
- A mix of water and table salt to a thick paste can also get super glue off the skin. Use the paste to rub over the affected area for one or two minutes. Here table salt acts as an abrasive to get off the glue.
- Use petroleum jelly to put a thick coat over the glued area. You can also soak it in olive oil if it is available for twenty minutes, then use a pocket knife to scrape the glue off.
2. Use acetone to get super glue off the skin.
Acetone is the main ingredient in nail polish removers, a must-have for most ladies. Once you have acetone, follow these steps to free your skin from superglue:
- Remove the clothing that the glue has gotten to if any.
- Take the acetone and rub it gently on the bonded skin.
- Gently stretch your skin then pull off the film like a bandage. Don’t be too hard to avoid tearing your skin and injuring yourself.
- When your skin is separate from the glue, use soap and water to clean the area.
- Moisturize your skin with lotion.
3. Pumice stone
A pumice stone is best used to remove calluses or dead skin from the feet, but it can also help get super glue off the skin. However, please do not use it on sensitive skin like the face.
First, soak the area in warm soapy water, dip the stone in warm water too, then use it to rub the glue off your skin in a circular motion until it is off. If you feel pain, stop, and try another method. You can get a pumice stone in natural health stores online or in pharmacies.
4. Lemon juice
Lemon has so many uses in the home, and the acid in it can help remove superglue from your skin. It works best in small areas. Squeeze lemon juice into a bowl, then soak the skin for about ten minutes, then use a soft-bristle toothbrush or cotton swabs to rub in the lemon juice. Dry your skin with a clean washcloth, wash your skin with clean water, and moisturize it.
5. Glue removers
You can get glue removers from craft and hobby stores. If the skin is glued to plastic material, using acetone can cause discoloration or damage to the plastic. Avoid removing superglue immediately, unless the skin is hurt because a delay will give you time to think and get the right material to remove the glue.
The methods explained above can be used on different surfaces besides the skin. If superglue gets on your skin, don’t be stranded on how to get superglue off the skin because the above methods are home remedies meaning you can quickly get it done.
There should be no lasting damage on your skin from superglue as it will dissolve slowly in days. However, if you want it off quickly, this post will come in handy.
READ MORE: How to Get Super Glue Off Your Fingers?